As Morocco continues to deal with the fallout of a major and deadly earthquake, Guernsey's Overseas Aid Commission says it hasn't received any formal request for help.
The north African country experienced a 6.8 magnitude earthquake on Friday which has so far claimed the lives of at least 2,800 with thousands more critically injured.
Local authorities are reportedly struggling to access people trapped in remote regions, which saw the most devastating effects, due to blocked roads and rugged environments.
Meanwhile as many as 300,000 are said to be affected by the disaster in the historic city of Marrakesh.
Guernsey’s criteria for overseas aid donations focuses on the poorest quarter of nations in the world, as defined by the United Nations’ Human Development Index.
But Deputy Chris Blin, President of the Overseas Aid & Development Commission, said it would “consider any disaster and emergency relief application it received.
“The Commission is yet to receive any requests for aid following the devastating earthquake in Morocco.”
Morocco has deployed civil protection units to get blood, water, food, and shelter to those who need it.
Major countries, including France and the United States are on stand-by awaiting aid requests from the beleaguered country. Meanwhile it has already accepted assistance from some like Spain and the UK.
The Red Cross is seeking over $100m to help relief efforts.
Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.
There are no comments for this article.