Anyone tidying up after a firework display is being encouraged to dispose of all remnants safely, to prevent any inadvertent fires or explosions.
Guernsey Waste issued the reminder ahead of the Bonfire Night celebrations, which in Guernsey have been spread over three days with nearly 80 events registered in advance.
Some of the events were taking place last night, with more tonight and some tomorrow.
Guernsey Waste’s Operations Manager, Sarah Robinson said that it is not only critical to take safety precautions during those firework displays seriously, but it is also very important to dispose of used and unused fireworks safely.
“Fireworks if not dealt with correctly when disposed of, can cause harm to staff handling waste and can also cause fires in collection vehicles or at the sites they end up at,” she warned.
Guernsey Waste said all fireworks should be left to cool down for at least 30 minutes before being soaked in water.
“No matter whether the fireworks were duds, which did not go off, or whether they misfired, were partially spent or completely spent, it is important to soak them in a bucket of water for at least one hour,” Ms Robinson said.
Once you are sure that the fireworks are completely safe they can be placed in with your general household waste for disposal. They must not be placed into the recycling.
Although sparklers are made of metal these should also be soaked in water and disposed of in general household waste whether used or unused.
Any fireworks left over after public or private displays that have not been used should not be stored for another event.
Guernsey Police can advise how to dispose of them and can be contacted via 222 222.
Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.
There are no comments for this article.