Monday 05 December 2022
Select a region

Suspended sentence for throwing punches and spitting in bouncer’s face

Suspended sentence for throwing punches and spitting in bouncer’s face

Wednesday 16 June 2021

Suspended sentence for throwing punches and spitting in bouncer’s face

Wednesday 16 June 2021

An "aggressive drunk" has been handed a suspended sentence for assaulting a pub doorman twice, a police officer once, and tearing a third member of door staff’s security jacket.

Keltan Carre, 19, instigated a string of disorderly conduct and assault on 26 March this year, after drinking to excess in Town.

He had been out in St Peter Port from 18:00 before being denied service at the Ship & Crown and being asked to leave at around 20:00. The doorman of the Ship & Crown was then called down to the Vault, where Carre had also been denied service.

When asked to leave the area, Carre became aggressive, squaring up to the first complainant, placing his forehead up against him and spitting on his face.

He was brought to the ground and in the process tore the security jacket of a member of the Vault’s door staff.

Police officers noticed the incident while passing by and came to assist, getting Carre to his feet.

Carre proceeded to walk away, swearing and threatening one of the police officers, who eventually decided to let him leave because he said he was going home.


Pictured: Carre appeared in the Magistrate’s Court for sentencing.

The doorman of the Ship & Crown went to the Thomas De La Rue to advise of Carre’s behaviour and in doing so came across Carre again, who was leaving the pub. Carre threw a punch that missed, police officers were called again and this time he was arrested.

During his arrest, the Court heard that Carre continued to spit and swear at the officers, subsequently kicking one officer in the shin. Much of the incident was caught on CCTV.

Defence Advocate Sam Steel said Carre was disgusted with himself and couldn’t remember being abusive to any police officers.

Despite this, Judge Garry Perry said Carre had been self-righteous and indignant.

“What everyone saw on that footage is what people worry about when they go into town and come across some random, aggressive drunk,” said Judge Perry.

Carre was sentenced to three months for the initial assault and two months for ripping the jacket, both to run concurrently. Additionally, he was sentenced to two months for the second assault – the thrown punch – and two months for kicking the police officer, both to run consecutively.

In total Carre was sentenced to seven months youth detention, however Judge Perry decided to suspend it for two years. He was ordered to pay £300 compensation to the first doorman, £37.50 for the torn jacket, and £100 to the injured officer.

Sign up to newsletter



Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

There are no comments for this article.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?