With the Bailiwick now firmly in phase two of its corona virus lockdown, more details have been added to the exit plan, which will take months to be fully implemented, with a sixth stage now included giving the first indication of when the islands might be fully reintegrated to the "global community".
The lockdown commenced on 25 March, when there were increasing numbers of positive cases of covid-19 being diagnosed in the island.
Deputy Gavin St Pier announced the lockdown saying it was essential to contain the spread of the virus which was already spreading within Guernsey.
Since then the island hit its peak of active cases during the second week of April, and according to the Director of Public Health we have "squashed the curve since then".
Currently there are only 21 active cases in Guernsey, with none confirmed in the other islands of the Bailiwick. Up to 17 deaths are being linked with covid-19.
Pictured: The latest statistics released by the States on Sunday 3 May.
Guided by Dr Nicola Brink, the Civil Contingencies Authority announced a relaxation of the lockdown towards the end of April - moving the islands into phase two on Saturday 25.
That meant more businesses could return to work with a handful of employees maintaining social distancing and adhering to other rules.
'Bubbles' were introduced last week with two households now allowed to link up - but the islands remain in phase two of the lockdown.
Pictured: The Bailiwick is in phase two of its lockdown.
There has been no indication yet when phase three might begin.
Information provided at gov.gg suggests the next phase will see a further "easing of lockdown with a progression towards a more normal level of activity within the Bailiwick".
Phase four will likely see "further progression towards a more normal level of activity within Guernsey". The plan for phase four will mean other businesses are able to resume their work including retail and hospitality, hairdressers and beauticians. Restrictions on work practices, gatherings and social distancing will remain in place.
Phase five was added to the information on gov.gg on Friday and it gives the first indication of when anyone may be able to travel between the islands for non-essential reasons.
"A return to a normal level of activity within the Bailiwick (with restrictions remaining in place for travel outside of the Bailiwick) with the final elements of the local economy, including bars and nightclubs, able to function. Travel between Islands in the Bailiwick will be discussed and agreed on between Islands," says the guidance.
That will be followed by phase six which will see the Bailiwick return to the Global community, but no information is available on when that may be or what it might look like yet.
"Detailed consideration of what this might look like will be available in due course," says the official guidance.
Pictured: The Bailiwick is aiming to move to phase three, but it could remain in phase two or move back to phase one.
For now, key components of phase two require anyone who can work at home to do so, and continued limitations on time outside of the home and mixing with other people at a distance.
Any increase in the number of positive diagnoses of covid-19 would keep the islands in phase two for longer than planned or push the islands back into the full lockdown seen in phase one.
To read the covid-19 lockdown guidance click HERE.
Pictured top: Deputy Gavin St Pier is Chair of the Civil Contingencies Authority.
Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.
There are no comments for this article.