Thursday 09 July 2020
Select a region

Fourth death announced

Fourth death announced

Monday 06 April 2020

Fourth death announced


A fourth elderly person has died after being confirmed to have covid-19, in the Bailiwick.

The Director of Public Health confirmed the sad news this afternoon, saying the patient passed away over the weekend.

The person has only been described as being in their 80s, and like the three previous fatalities linked with corona virus, no details have been released to protect their identity and that of their grieving loved ones. 

Dr Nicola Brink sent her condolences to those relatives and friends when she announced the fourth covid19 linked death this afternoon.

Dr Nicola Brink

Pictured: Dr Nicola Brink speaking at a recent press briefing. 

"I am very sorry to report that a patient who tested positive for covid-19 sadly passed away over the weekend. The patient was in their 80s," she said.

"I offer my sincere condolences to their family and friends and ask that their privacy is respected at this extremely sad time."

Deputy Heidi Soulsby, President of the Committee for Health & Social Care also sent her sympathy to those directly affected by the sad news.

"I am sure the community will join me in offering condolences to the family and friends affected by this sad news.

"Support for Islanders dealing with loss and bereavement at this time can be found here: gov.gg/coronavirus. Please share this information with family and friends who don't have easy access to the internet."

Heidi_soulsby_hospital.jpg

Pictured: Deputy Heidi Soulsby sent her condolences and said advice for bereaved families is available. 

As the fourth fatality linked with corona virus was announced it was also confirmed that another person has 'fully recovered' from the virus.

28 people are now confirmed to have test negative for covid-19 having previously been diagnosed with it.

Nearly 40 tests are currently outstanding.

Screenshot_2020-04-06_at_16.56.54.png

Pictured: The latest statistics as at 16:30, Monday 6 April. 

With the four fatalities linked with covid-19 all patients in their 80s, attention has been drawn to the care homes in the island, where at least two clusters of cases have been identified.

It's not known if any of the four patients who have died lived in the affected homes, but efforts are being made to support the staff and residents in those homes, and others across the island. 

Screenshot_2020-04-06_at_16.57.06.png

Pictured: The time line as corona virus cases have been identified in Guernsey. 

Saying that the staff are under "immense pressure", the Guernsey Care Home Association and HSC put out a public request to anyone in Guernsey who has any previous caring experience either formal, including working in a care setting, or informally through caring for a family member or friend, and who would like to work in the care home and community care sector at this difficult time.

"We would welcome interest from anyone (part-time or full-time) who hasn’t been in contact with anyone who is covid-19 positive and isn’t showing any symptoms (fever, cough or shortness of breath) and is generally fit and well," said a spokesperson.

"If you are interested in some temporary paid employment and would like to help please contact Community Services who are coordinating a rapid recruitment programme together with Guernsey Care Home Association, on tel 725241 ext 3313 or email vicky.trench@gov.gg

"HSC and the community care sector would like to say thank you all for the help and support in the community at these difficult times."

Sign up to newsletter

 

Comments

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?