Wednesday 26 January 2022
Select a region

Fatal Sala flight organiser told contact to “keep very quiet” after crash

Fatal Sala flight organiser told contact to “keep very quiet” after crash

Thursday 21 October 2021

Fatal Sala flight organiser told contact to “keep very quiet” after crash

The organiser of footballer Emiliano Sala's fatal final flight, which ditched near Alderney in 2019, messaged a friend to “keep very quiet” in the aftermath of the crash, a court has heard.

According to evidence heard in Cardiff Crown Court this week, David Henderson (67) was aware that David Ibbotson, who flew the ill-fated Piper Malibu, did not have a commercial pilot’s licence and was not qualified to fly in bad weather.

Mr Henderson denies acting in a reckless or negligent manner that endangered the safety of an aircraft. 

The plane, which was due to take the 28-year-old striker from Nantes to his new club Cardiff FC, crashed north-west of Guernsey on 21 January 2019. Mr Sala’s body was recovered, but Mr Ibbotson’s was never found.

The Court heard that Mr Henderson was not available to fly the aircraft himself because he was in Paris, so instead arranged for Mr Ibbotson to carry the footballer, even though he was not appropriately qualified, following a request from football agent Willie McKay.

In response to the request, he asked for “£4k as [a] float”.

Martin Goudie QC, prosecuting, said that Mr Henderson “ignored certain requirements when it suited him and his business interests.”

The jury was told of a message in which Mr Henderson described Mr Ibbotson’s flying in summer 2018 as “interesting”, adding that “he was all over the place.”

When Mr Henderson heard about the crash near Guernsey, the Court heard that he wrote in another message: “Ibbo has crashed the Malibu and killed himself and VIP pax! Bloody disaster. There will be an enquiry.”

To another person, he wrote, “Opens up a whole can of worms. Keep very quiet” and told the plane’s engineer “Don’t say a word to anyone” after speaking to the coastguard about the crash.

Mr Henderson was due to be tried on a second charge of attempting to discharge a passenger without valid permission or authorisation in October 2020, but pleaded guilty to ahead of the trial’s opening on Monday.

The case, which is expected to last two weeks, continues today.

Sign up to newsletter



Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

There are no comments for this article.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?