Monday 10 May 2021
Select a region
News

Drugs, knives and two alleged self-isolation breaches

Drugs, knives and two alleged self-isolation breaches

Tuesday 13 April 2021

Drugs, knives and two alleged self-isolation breaches


Two alleged self-isolation breaches appeared next to two significant cannabis charges in a jam-packed Remand Court.

20 people appeared in court yesterday morning charged with a variety of offences.

The first two hearings were both in regard to possession and supply of cannabis. A couple in their thirties and a 67-year-old man all appeared for one joint charge of supply. The case was adjourned to 9 June ahead of committal to the Royal Court for sentencing.

Immediately afterwards, another couple in their thirties were charged with cultivation of cannabis. Advocate Mark Dunster asked for the sentencing to remain in the Magistrate’s Court, with its restricted sentencing powers.

Advocate Dunster argued that the mitigating circumstances meant that an exception could be made in this case. The Court was told that the couple have a child together. 

Judge Jessica Roland retired to make a decision on where sentencing should take place. She said it was “hard not to be sympathetic”, but decided that the Richards guidelines - the well-established case law for drug supply charges - had to be followed. The case was also adjourned for a committal date on 9 June and appears destined for the Royal Court.

 Graeme McKerrell

Pictured: Judge Graeme McKerrell took over proceedings in the Magistrate's Court after Judge Roland retired to make her decision about the Richards' guidelines.

A man charged with drink driving without a driving licence also appeared for another two charges relating to the possession of a fixed blade. The 35-year-old pleaded not guilty to all counts and his case was adjourned until the 2 June for a pre-trial hearing.  

Three men appeared charged with threatening behaviour in the Lower Pollet on 9 January. The men, aged between 23 and 36, all pleaded not guilty to the charges laid against them.

One of the men was also charged with resisting arrest, disorderly behaviour and assaulting a police officer. He pleaded not guilty to all except resisting arrest. All men were released on bail and the case was adjourned until 2 June.

 Pollet.png

Pictured: Three men appeared together charged with threatening and abusive behaviour in the Lower Pollet.

The final two cases of note were for two alleged self-isolation breaches. A 27-year-old appeared having spent the remainder of his self-isolation period in custody. The defendant had previously appeared through Microsoft Teams after arriving in Guernsey with nowhere to self-isolate and allegedly breaking his self-isolation.

He pleaded not guilty to the charge and was bailed until 2 June for a pre-trial review.

 Self_Isolation.png

Pictured: There have been a number of self-isolation breaches and fines since the implementation of Guernsey's travel restrictions.

A final alleged self-isolation breach appeared through Microsoft Teams. A 33-year-old man was charged with failing to comply with self-isolation requirements on 8 April, among a number of other charges.

He was remanded in custody and his case was adjourned until 26 April.

Sign up to newsletter

 

Comments

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

There are no comments for this article.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?