The work to restore the public steps from the bathing pools up to the Clarence Battery has been welcomed by those behind the recent regeneration of the wider Vallette area.
Yesterday the States confirmed it is going out to tender to find a contractor to do the work early next year.
The Committee for the Environment & Infrastructure has been granted the funding to pay for the work to re-instate access to the area known as the Cow's Horn.
David Warr, Chair of Vive La Vallette LBG, the Guernsey charity which completed the redevelopment project at the bathing pools café and changing facilities earlier this year, said it was very welcome news.
Pictured: The scene at the steps to the Clarence Battery in early 2020.
“I am delighted to hear that the Clarence Battery steps are to be re-instated. Since opening the new facilities in June 2022, we have received regular enquiries as to the future of the steps following the landslide in early 2020. I am hopeful that now funding has been approved, the work will be completed on a timely basis, and this important gateway will once again be open for all to enjoy.
“The La Vallette area not only has a rich history but is an important part of St Peter Port, offering convenient recreational space in an outstanding location. The reopening of the steps will further enhance the area for the benefit of both the Guernsey community and visitors.”
The steps were left irreparably damaged in March 2020 after heavy rain caused a landslide down the cliff face above the old Aquarium.
States Property Unit engineers and geotechnical experts have surveyed the area multiple times since and temporary work to stabilise the slopes was carried out.
Now the funding for the repair has been approved by the Policy & Resources Committee, it will include enough money to cover the necessary work to stabilise the slopes of the cliff face either side of the entrance to what was the Aquarium, as well as the construction of new steps to create access to Clarence Battery.
Funding has been approved for the Committee for the Environment & Infrastructure to re-instate access from La Vallette to Clarence Battery.— States of Guernsey (@Govgg) December 20, 2022
Read more at https://t.co/fYTUjOUSzz pic.twitter.com/Wuyl0q9Z3Y
E&I will need to apply for planning permission before any work can commence and the committee says it plans to go out to tender for the work during early 2023.
It is hoped the work could then start during the third quarter of 2023, to be completed by the end of next year.
Deputy Lindsay de Sausmarez, President of E&I said:
“Islanders and visitors alike have missed being able to enjoy the beautiful route along our east coast from La Vallette round to Clarence Battery and onwards following the landslide.
"Protecting our coastal infrastructure is rarely a quick fix and often requires careful technical investigation, as has been the case at the Cow’s Horn. We have been careful to do this right so that we avoid the same problems recurring, or worse, later down the line. We all want to see this work carried out as soon as possible, so now we’ve done the necessary technical investigation it’s good to see this moving to the next stage.”
Clarence Battery work put out to tender
Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.
There are no comments for this article.