Wednesday 17 August 2022
Select a region

LATEST: Bomb hoax teen referred to children's convenor

LATEST: Bomb hoax teen referred to children's convenor

Thursday 05 July 2018

LATEST: Bomb hoax teen referred to children's convenor

Thursday 05 July 2018

The 17-year-old teenage boy arrested yesterday by Guernsey Police following an alleged hoax bomb call to Beau Sejour has been released on bail, and will be referred to the island's children's convenor.

Meanwhile, a 30-year-old woman who was also arrested has been realised, with no further action expected to be taken.

Guernsey Police confirmed this to Express this morning, following the announcement that the arrests were made late yesterday afternoon after the leisure centre had reopened following a full evacuation of the building and surrounding areas.

Sergeant Jim Reeves said: "The 17-year-old male we arrested has been bailed and we are referring with the convenor on what the next steps will be for him, and the adult female has been released with no further action planned.

"We believe it was a hoax call coming from a 'naughty 17-year-old boy'."

Beau Séjour was evacuated just after 12:30 on Wednesday, following an anonymous call to the centre. It was forwarded on to Police, and gave officers enough concern to call for a full evacuation.

Members of the public, including those swimming and using the gym, were told to leave the building and to assemble on the Cambridge Park playing fields as the events unfolded.

bomb threat Beau Sejour

Some customers were left in just their swimming costumes as they waited for further instructions on the field. They were waiting for up to two hours before the all clear was given so they could return and get changed.

Following the evacuation and during the subsequent investigation at the leisure centre, entry was restricted at every access point to Beau Sejour and the surrounding land and playing fields. Beau Sejour staff and customers, patrons of the Ron Short Centre and other members of the public were being held in the area to the side of the upper tennis courts, behind the softball pitch.

Just before 14:30 the leisure centre was reopened and people were told they could return inside, but before that, it and surrounding areas were closed to the public due to the "ongoing incident" which police officers were initially unable to confirm the nature of while their work continued. 

This morning, Beau Sejour confirmed that an emergency training exercise planned for next week would be continuing as advertised, with it closed to public from noon on Tuesday 10 July, and reopening the following morning at 06:30.

Guernsey Police bomb threat Beau Sejour

Pictured above and top: The incident at Beau Sejour as captured by Express reporter Stephen King who was on the scene as events unfolded 

Sign up to newsletter



Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

There are no comments for this article.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?